Thursday, February 19, 2009

Something Different

This is a video that has only previously been released as part of a DVD of my concert at Heliconian Hall last year. (There is another one being held in a couple of months - click here for details if you're interested.) I wrote this song about coming out as bisexual - the story, the feelings, the aftermath. This video shows the first time I ever played it in public, which is how I came out to most of my family.



It was the middle of May & I was content just to be myself
Couldn't have paid me to spend a day as anybody else
Stepped out into the world - imagine my surprise:
I looked upon someone special with fresh eyes

It's hard to say these things out loud... but
She was a girl
I was shocked, I couldn't believe
& I thought: well, this is news to me

So I got right back on track, though I didn't know where I was supposed to go
She made me blush, she made me stutter - h-h-h-h-hello
I found out girls are different - they're a lot more free
It's not as much about the chase, or about my body (not that there's very much to see)

It's hard to say these things out loud... but
She was a girl
I was shocked, I couldn't believe
& I thought: what does she think of me?

I thought long & hard about what I should do
Maybe those little smiles meant she liked me too
So I took a chance & told her what I couldn't hide
Let me tell you, it was so exciting, I could've died

& she was a girl
Oh boy, was she a girl
& I learned something 'bout myself that I had never known before
Which is that boys & boys & boys & boys & more boys can get to be a bore
Sometimes I want something different than what I'm used to
& sometimes she is there & she is wanting me too

No comments:

Post a Comment