Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bisexual Angst

I don't like the fact that I am bisexual.

Oh, goodness knows I love being queer. I love the scene, the people, the events, the movies, the books, the history, the struggle for equality, the art, the clubs, the implications. But more often than not, I think to myself: I wish I were a lesbian.

I don't know about other bisexuals, but I have many problems with this label. Here are a few of my gripes:

1. I constantly get defensive whenever anyone accuses me of being straight or gay. It terrifies me to think that anyone would assume either way, thereby cutting off my romantic/sexual options. I always feel like I'm balancing on a log which rolls one way or the other, trying desperately to keep myself perfectly poised in the middle. It would be so nice to be able to confidently say, "Yes, I'm straight," or "I'm gay," without having to tediously explain & justify the entire middle ground.

2. Often, bisexuals are not respected by the straight community or the gay community. Either they think we are doing it for attention/going through a phase, or they think we can't commit to a single relationship, or they think we're confused, or all of the above. (Admittedly, I am confused, but that doesn't mean I always will be - & most bisexuals aren't.)

3. Currently, I'd rather be in a romantic relationship with a man, but I'd rather be in a sexual relationship with a woman. Periodically, this switches. They hardly ever sync up. I find this supremely frustrating & confusing.

4. Katy Perry. 'Nough said.

5. I go through phases of liking mostly boys or mostly girls. It's extremely rare that I find myself interested in people from more than one gender at a time. This confuses me (that's nothing new, right?), but it also fills me with guilt because I feel like I'm proving all the bisexual stereotypes I hate so much.

Any other bi folks have similar or other complaints about this particular brand of queerness?

5 comments:

  1. Hello Kate and the rest of the Muskequeers!
    I'm a girl from a small town (Aveiro) in Portugal. I don't remember how I came across your flickr (and consequently blog) but... I love it. And the strange thing is... I am totally straight! And... I DON'T LIKE IT.
    Have you ever heard something like this? I've tried, I have really tried to understand my straightness... I guess I just don't like the intentions all the guys have and all the macho stuff... But I LOVE a stylish andro guy with a touch of make-up...
    I love androgyny and coming across different characteristics in one single person.

    I'm straight but I can only dream of being in that queer street party, it must be lovely... I guess you could feel the love there no? I think that everyone who has a wide open mind and soul should get together. It doesn't matter! I am straight and that, sometimes, makes me sick when I look at guys in overall view... ARGH

    I am sorry if I seem to naive in all i've said but I just watch it from distance
    (though my own doctor has once told me - "You REALLY are the woman who will be surrounded by gay friends, living alone and drinking martini a lot at 40 yrs old".
    Love liberty!

    I wish you three all the best,

    You rock
    MARIANA


    Katy Perry.............I mean... C'mon... It doesn't deserve a comment in itself... She is in desperate need of some "neurological slaps"...
    KISS******

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mariana,
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I've known a few people who have similar feelings to yours. One of them is Jasper, who writes about a label he calls "heterosexual queer": http://jasperswardrobe.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/heterosexual-queer

    There's no reason you can't explore queerness just because you think or know you are straight. Maybe your ideal partner is a transman or transwoman! Go through life with an open mind, try not to limit yourself with labels, & just see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that the solution for a small-town girl who is straight & in love with the queer community is to move to a bigger, more accepting city (when time permits) with a wide variety of tastes, cultures, orientations. Then, you find your own drag queen & fall in love.
    example: In season 6 of The L Word, see Kit's relationship near the end. Perfect solution, no?

    Best luck,
    Cadence

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, Kate. Name's Jeff and I am Bisexual and I like your metaphor about the log. I remember back when i was in high school and I was confronted by a really cute boy in math class that I had a little crush on. He had heard I was bi and was like "If you're with a dude that means you're gay". and I was like "No, i am always and forever will be Bi." He still didn't get it...and for some reason i no longer had a crush on him. ha. big fan of your music, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jeff!
    I agree, ignorance is the biggest turnoff. :P

    ReplyDelete