Monday, February 16, 2009

Proposition 8.1

I wrote this song in response to the passing of Proposition 8 in California. Even though same-sex marriage is legal where I live, it still upsets me to no end that the majority of Americans apparently think that queer people should be excluded from their constitutional rights. I had never written a political song before, but this was such an important issue to me that I was compelled to write it.

On my YouTube page, it spawned some interesting discussions & debates about same-sex marriage, which you can read by clicking here. I found it very moving that my fans would stick up for me when I was verbally battling a closed-minded religious zealot on this topic.



Get your religion out of my bed, & I will keep my bed out of your church
All your deception must be in vain; I think it's time to give up your search
For validation of your heart
Validation of your heart

Get your propaganda offa my TV, & I will keep my words out of your ears
I can tell by looking that you're scared of me, & I'm about to validate your fears
For validation of my heart
Validation of my heart

There's a reason why we live in separate places
I don't think we could stand to see each other's faces
You're messing up the world with your lousy legislations
& your half-assed ministrations
Don't control the population
In the name of validation of your heart

Get those cruel words offa your lips, & I will get this song offa mine
There's been enough resistance for you to get the hint: your policies are dying on the vine
Alla these protests, sit-ins & strikes may seem rather rough
But no matter how many ambitions you crush, it'll never ever be enough
For validation of your heart
Validation of your heart
Validation of your heart
Everybody needs a place to start

3 comments:

  1. I love your music. This is a cool blog too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much Peace & Love Kiddo! + some Compassion & Understand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't intend to be anonymous.I have nothing to hide.Also didn't intend to mess up my comment,but you know me.Was to read...

    "Much Peace & Love Kiddo! + some Compassion & Understanding"

    ReplyDelete