Friday, October 30, 2009

Possible lesson to be learned from last night

"Don't get your hopes up."

When I want something (or someone), I like to take the attitude that I am GOING TO get it. I visualize having it, I feel how it would feel to have it, I try to start acting like I've already got it. This is not only based on the Law of Attraction, but also just good common sense - you'll be more likely to get something if you've prepared enough to know how to deal when you do get it.

As a result of this mentality (e.g. referring to objects of affection as my "future boy/girlfriend," for one thing), I get the occasional negative person telling me not to "get my hopes up."

Personally I think this is bullshit. Obviously you should listen to your gut, so if it feels like you're definitely not going to get this thing, then you probably don't really want it anyway, & should walk away. But if you really, truly want it, & feel on a fairly regular basis that it is, in fact, within your grasp, get your fucking hopes up! If you get what you want (& you probably will), it will feel super fucking amazing - & if you don't, you'll come crashing down in a fabulous, dramatic blaze of glory! Emotion is always better than nothing at all, especially for creative artist-types, as much as you might try to deny it.

If it doesn't work out, write a song. Paint something. Eat some chocolate. Scribble on a piece of paper, then crumple it up & throw it across the room. Get in the shower & do some loud & vigorous EFT. Pop a couple 5-HTP capsules. Reach out to people who'll make you feel better. Buy yourself some flowers. Publish melodramatic blog posts or tweets (see here, here, & the very page you're on right now!). Punch a pillow. Take a walk. Spend the whole day in bed. Listen to music you love on a loop (soundtrack of my sad day today: Music For Tourists by Chris Garneau). Spend time in front of a mirror, either telling yourself you love you, or swearing an incoherent blue streak. Put on huge scarves & mittens to insulate yourself from the world. Cuddle a small animal (stuffed or real). Wear a wig. Take MySpace-angle photos of your tortured artist self. Tell yourself a dozen million times how awesome you are, in as many places, wordings, silly voices, & different outfits as you possibly can. Basically, OWN YOUR MISERY, then kick it in the face & send it packing.

No one can make you do or be anything you don't want to... & that includes emotions. Who the fuck says you have to be sad, angry, frustrated, humiliated, or anything else? You're the only one who can choose to be that way. & I say, if you choose to be miserable, do it big, allow it to inspire you in explosive ways, document the results to review in happier times, & then go do something else. Know, always, that you are loved, & that this too shall pass.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Kate. I am so sorry if your plan didn't work out.

    But I know that you are one of the strong ones.

    You can use the attitude and beauty that inspires me everyday, and create something more than the here-and-now of sadness.

    Loves ya, cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are wise beyond your years. this post is a good piece for a zine... hmm, have you thought about submitting to Shameless magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete